If your Apple Watch touch screen not working to your commands or has stopped working. In that case, it can be a significant problem that affects the device’s functionality. This issue can arise from various factors, such as software glitches, physical damage, or hardware malfunction.
Since the touch screen is the primary means of interacting with the watch, it’s essential for accessing features like making calls, sending messages, tracking workouts, and more. The watch becomes useless without a functional touch screen, making it challenging to carry out even basic tasks. This can be especially frustrating for people who rely heavily on their Apple Watch to stay connected and monitor their daily activities.
Common Reasons Why Apple Watch Touch Screen Not Working
- Dirt and debris accumulation on the screen
- Physical damage or cracks on the screen
- Water damage
- Software issues
- Hardware issues
Dirt and debris accumulation on the screen
If your Apple Watch’s touch screen is not working due to dirt and debris accumulation on the screen, there are several steps you can take to address the issue.
- Cleaning the screen with a soft, lint-free cloth: To clean your Apple Watch’s touch screen, it’s best to use a soft, lint-free cloth to gently wipe away any dirt or debris that may be affecting touch sensitivity. Avoid using abrasive materials or harsh chemicals that could scratch or damage the screen.
- Using a screen protector: One way to avoid dirt and debris accumulation on your Apple Watch’s touchscreen is by applying a screen protector. This can be beneficial in preventing any debris from affecting touch responsiveness.
- Removing the Apple Watch band and cleaning the watch thoroughly: In case dirt and debris have collected around the edges of your Apple Watch’s screen or under the watch band, it’s advisable to remove the band and clean the watch thoroughly using a soft brush or cloth. This can effectively eliminate any debris that may be causing issues with touch sensitivity.
Read Also: How Accurate are Samsung Smartwatch Heart Rate Monitors? How to Turn on a Smartwatch without the Power Button
Physical damage or cracks on the screen
If the touch screen on your Apple Watch is not working because of physical damage or cracks on the screen, you have two primary options to fix the issue.
- Replacing the screen at an authorized service provider: First, you can take your watch to an authorized service provider and ask for a screen replacement. This option is suitable if the damage is limited to the screen and has not affected any other internal components.
- Contacting Apple support for repair options: if the damage is more extensive or your watch is still under warranty, you can contact Apple support for repair options. Depending on the specific circumstances of the issue, Apple may offer a repair or replacement for the damaged device.
Suppose your Apple Watch touchscreen is not working due to water damage. In that case, there are several steps you can take to potentially fix the issue.
- Turning off the Apple Watch immediately: First, immediately turn off the watch to prevent further damage to its internal components.
- Drying the Apple Watch and leaving it in a dry place for several days: Then, dry the watch and leave it in a dry place for several days. You can use a soft cloth to remove excess water. However, avoid using heat sources like hairdryers as they could harm the watch’s internal components.
- Contacting Apple support for repair options: If the watch doesn’t start working after drying, you should contact Apple support for repair options. However, it’s important to note that the watch’s warranty may not cover water damage, so you may have to pay for repair costs. Depending on the specific circumstances of the issue, Apple may be able to offer you a repair or replacement for the damaged device.
If the touch screen on your Apple Watch is not working due to software issues, you can take several steps to potentially fix the problem.
- Updating the Apple Watch software: First, check and install any available updates. This can help resolve any bugs or glitches affecting the touch screen.
- Restarting the Apple Watch: Try restarting the watch. Hold the side button until the power off slider appears, then drag the slider to turn off the watch. Hold the side button again until the Apple logo appears and the watch restarts.
- Resetting the Apple Watch to factory settings: If the issue persists, you can try resetting the watch to factory settings. It’s important to note that doing so will erase all content and settings from the watch. Make sure to back up any important data before proceeding. To reset the watch, go to the Settings app, select General, then select reset. From there, choose to Erase All Content and Settings, and follow the prompts to complete the reset. After the reset, set up the watch as a new device and see if the touchscreen works correctly.
If the touch screen on your Apple Watch is not working due to hardware issues, you have two primary options for addressing the problem.
- Contacting Apple support for repair options: Firstly, you can contact Apple support and describe the issue you’re experiencing with the watch. Depending on the specific circumstances of the issue, Apple may be able to offer a repair or replacement for the damaged device.
- Checking the Apple Watch warranty: Secondly, you can check if the watch is still under warranty. If it is, you can contact Apple support to request a repair or replacement if the issue you’re experiencing is covered by the warranty. However, if the warranty has expired, you may still be able to get the watch repaired, but you will have to pay for repair costs.
Preventative Measures for Future Issues
You can take several preventative measures to prevent future issues with the touch screen on your Apple Watch.
- Cleaning the Apple Watch regularly: Regularly cleaning the watch with a soft, lint-free cloth can help prevent dirt and debris buildup on the screen, which can affect touch sensitivity.
- Avoid exposing the Apple Watch to water or other liquids: It’s essential to avoid exposing it to water or other liquids, as water damage can cause serious issues with its internal components.
- Being mindful of the Apple Watch’s physical impact: Dropping the watch or hitting it against a hard surface can cause physical damage to the screen or internal components. Therefore, it’s important to be mindful of the watch’s placement and not expose it to potential damage.
- Keeping the Apple Watch software up to date: Keeping the watch’s software up to date can help prevent bugs and glitches that can affect the touch screen and other device functions. Therefore, you should regularly check for software updates and install them as soon as they become available to prevent future issues.
To sum up, there are several possible reasons why an Apple Watch touchscreen might not work. However, there are also different ways to resolve the issue, such as cleaning the screen, repairing or replacing damaged parts, or updating the software. Moreover, taking preventive measures, such as keeping the watch clean and dry, avoiding physical damage, and regularly updating the software, can help to prevent future problems.
Can I fix my Apple Watch touchscreen myself?
It’s not recommended to attempt to fix an Apple Watch touchscreen yourself, as it requires specialized tools and expertise. Attempting to repair the watch yourself can potentially cause further damage to the device and void any existing warranty.
How much does it cost to repair an Apple Watch touchscreen?
The cost to repair an Apple Watch touchscreen can vary depending on the watch’s model and the damage’s extent. Generally, repairs can range from a few hundred dollars to over $500. It’s best to contact Apple support or an authorized service provider for a quote.
Can water damage be repaired on an Apple Watch?
Water damage can potentially be repaired on an Apple Watch, but it depends on the extent of the damage. It’s important to turn off the watch immediately if it has been exposed to water. Then, contact Apple support or an authorized service provider for repair options.
How do I know if my Apple Watch is still under warranty?
To check if an Apple Watch is still under warranty, users can visit Apple’s website and enter the watch’s serial number. Users may be eligible for repair or replacement options if the watch is still under warranty.
What should I do if my Apple Watch touchscreen isn’t working after these troubleshooting steps?
Suppose the touch screen on an Apple Watch still isn’t working after trying troubleshooting steps such as updating the software, restarting the watch, or resetting to factory settings. In that case, users should contact Apple support or an authorized service provider for repair options.